Notes from Roger Drummer Presentation
(Click the image above to buy this)
Roger Drummer is a Master Herbalist at the Tea Garden, a Chinese Herb Shop in West Hollywood, CA., which produces the IMMUNITY® product exclusively for us. Currently Nikken is the Tea Garden's only corporate customer of our kind. He is also Nikken's spokesman for our IMMUNITY® support product
Our product is not an immunity system "stimulant". In many health cases (organ transplant, i.e.) an immunity stimulant could be a detriment. He described its action as a product that "awakens" and supports the broadest spectrum of immune function. IMMUNITY® is produced from foods - Since it's
a food and not a chemical, it's 100% safe for everyone, including children. A person can stay on the product indefinitely... Taking too much may cause a stomach ache or gas, but no long-term problems, so there is not an overdose danger.
A Vitamin Pill for the Immune System - The Immunity® Product: Patent pending
1. Product consists of 14 different mushrooms:
- Different mushrooms are for different health benefits
- They work synergistically; Different mushrooms work stronger in their specific formulations than if they were taken alone
- Wakes and supports the broadest spectrum of the immune system
- Wide array of beneficial Beta glucans for each type of cell
- Delivers a comprehensive immunity package
- 6 strains are exclusive only to Nikken
2. Mushrooms are grown on a proprietary substrate:
A substrate is the matter that the mushroom is grown on (tree i.e.), and the organic food takes on the nutrients of the item that it is grown on and that enhances the properties of the product.
- Took 4 years to develop
- Each strain of mushroom has its own unique substrate
- Wide variety of nutrients in the substrate add tremendously to the effectiveness (Broccoli can be grown with only 6 nutrients in the soil but results in poor nutrition)
3. Uses the mycelium:
- Food base of the mushroom before it sprouts which holds the most nutrition
- Mycelium is heated in an autoclave to release its nutrients to be absorbed better
4. A whole foods product:
- Grown in Hawaii under laboratory conditions for consistent results
- Kosher certified
- 100% organic
- 100% vegetarian
- Organic/Kosher means that virtually anyone can take our product... including and especially those who have a "compromised immune system". Also we can be assured that our mushrooms are grown in the most pure/clean environment available.
- Our capsules are not made from bovine products that a lot of capsules are made from... these are being suspected and watched for mad cow disease.
5. Regulates the immune system:
- It helps to regulate the immune system and not just stimulate it
- It stimulates the immune system when it when it is low (i.e. Illness)
- It slows the immune system down when it is over active (i.e. Allergies)
- Herbs like Echinacea and Golden Seal are immune stimulants only
- Immune stimulants should only be used at the beginning of an illness for a short time
- Immune stimulants should not be used by people with auto-immune conditions (i.e. arthritis, lupus, MS)
Our Immune System
1. Immune system parts:
- T-Cells: Put a mark (or tag) on undesirable cells
- Natural Killer (NK) Cells: Kills of organisms that are marked by the T-Cells
- Cytokines: Encourages cell growth, sends additional cells, directs cellular traffic
- Phagocytes: Engulfs and destroys invaders, microorganisms and aged red blood cells
"Garbage man of the immune system"
Mushrooms in Immunity®
Some of the primary mushrooms and their benefits
- Cordyceps - Considered one of the 5 greatest herbs in China (Sells for $1400/lb. in Tibet and China)
Strengthens lungs, adrenals, heart and nervous system
Regulates the immune system
Used with exercise induced asthma
Anti-cancer and anti-tumor
- Agaricus Blazei - Boosts Natural Killer cells
- Reishi - Considered to be a liver cleanser. The symbol of immortality in China
An ancient Chinese emperor had his throne shaped like it.
Clouds were shaped liked them in Chinese art.
- Maitake - Boosts the T-cell count. Also called Grifola
- Trametes Versicolor - Used as a cancer drug in Europe. Most studied mushroom in the world
- Shiitake - Considered to be a liver cleanser. Commonly used in macrobiotic cooking
- Pleurotus Ostreatus - Cholesterol lowering factor. Also called Oyster mushroom
- Hericium Erinaceus -
The following strains are unique to Nikken. They are cultured in a very controlled environment in Hawaii, high up on Mt. Haleakala on the island of Maui.
- Tremella Mesenterica - A yin tonic for dryness - good for body fluids
- Phellinus Linteus - From Korea
- Pleurotus Tuber -- Regium - Very rare species, only found in the Kenyan desert
- Inonotus Obliques - Chaga.- Known to have anti-cancer properties. From a birch tree in Eastern Russia
- Lepiota Prorera - No one else in the world has this species
- Flammulina Velutipes - Enoki. Used by those interested in macrobiotics.
Using the Immunity Product
- Beginning: 2 capsules 2 x day for 1 month
3 capsules, 2 x day for 1 month (if person is sick a lot)
- Maintenance - 1 capsule 2 x day
- It can be taken everyday to keep the immune system strong and active
2. Best way to take it:
- On an empty stomach ( ½ hour before a meal or 2 hours after a meal )
- 4-6 hours away from medication if possible
- With antioxidants (vitamin C breaks down beta glucans) and helps with it's digestion
- Ok to take with prescription drugs because it is a food and not a drug
- Product is o.k. for those with candida.
- Allergies: Start taking 3 capsules 2 x day 1 month before allergy season
Western medicine tends to think that there is one thing that is causing the problem. It is never just one thing. It is a combination of life style, what we eat, our environment, our attitude, what we do, etc. that determines how we are feeling at that particular moment.
Dr. John Holliday - Mycologist who was instrumental in developing the immunity product. He is an internationally recognized expert on mushrooms was awarded an honorary doctorate by the Chinese scientific community. Dr. Holliday, is one of the world's leading "mycologist."
(A mycologist is a person who studies health benefits of mushrooms.) Due to the exclusive work of Dr. Holiday & the Chinese government we have one of the rarest and most expensive mushrooms in the world in our formulation. Over 1 billion people have taken another mushroom in our formulation for vitality and radiance. This strain was written about over 2500 years ago in the first Chinese medical book on record.
Health food store beta glucan is by itself as a yeast product, not a whole food
Mushrooms have been used for over 3000 years.
Pubmed: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms:
www.begellihouse.com/ijmm/ijmm_previous.html Ask Dr. Weil: www.drweil.com This information is a compilation of notes taken by several Nikken Wellness Consultants at presentations by Roger Drummer on 9-1-01(Branson, MO) and
9-8-01 (Missoula, MT). No medical claims are made regarding this information. These notes are for educational purposes only.
Medicinal Mushrooms (Ancient Remedies for Modern Ailments) by George M Halpern, MD, PhD & Andrew H. Miller
Ingredient facts about Nikken's immune support product
By Dr. Gordon Pedersen
Biologically active mushrooms have been shown in published science journals to be anti-viral, anti-cancer, anti-tumor, anti-Leukemia and antibacterial. These mushrooms used in the product Immunity seem to be active because they stimulate immune cells, cytokines and protect vital organs like the liver and skin. A combination of these biologically active mushrooms increases the natural defenses of humans and promotes stronger immune responses against serious chronic diseases and tumors. A person taking these mushrooms could expect an increase in NK cells and an associated increase in immunity against viruses, bacteria and cancers. This immune enhancement could be used preventively and/or against a pre-existing disease.
· Protects the kidney and improves kidney function in rats with renal failure.
(Am. Journal of Chin. Medicine, 2005,33(3) 491-500)
· Protects against strep infection.
(J. Med. Microbiology, 2005, 54(8) 795-802)
· Degrades dioxins
(FEMS MicrobiOl. Lett., 2005, July 248(1) 17-22) .
· Combines with other antioxidants to become stronger against leukemia. Helps reduce pain, fatigue and DNA damage in peripheral blood.
(Phytomedicine, 2005, apr. 12(4) 255-263)
· Inhibits leukemia.
(Oncology Report, 2005, June 13(6) 1211-16)
· Acts as an immune modulator in 1-2 hours after consumption, (PubMed PMID,2005)
· Demonstrates anti-tumor activity,
(Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2004, Dec 2:S51-3)
· Demonstrates anti-inflammatory activity,
(Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2005, Jan 96(3) 555-61)
· Demonstrates immune modulatory and anti-tumor activity.
(Biotech and Biochem, 2005)
Agarjicus biazei Qingyuan
· Helps inhibit growth and metastasis of cancers by activating immune factors like bone marrow and cytokines.
(International Immunopharmacology, 2005, sep.(l 0)1523-32)
· Demonstrates anti-diabetic activity.
(BiotechnoL Lett, 2005,27(7) 483-7)
· Demonstrates anti-tumor and anti-metastatic activity.
(Toxicol in Vitros 2005, 7:1047-53)
· Beneficial to chemotherapy patients: improves NK cell function, appetite, weakness, alopecia and helps improve emotional stability,
(lnt Journal of Gynecol. Cancer, 2004, 14(4) 589-94)
· Helps protect against viruses (herpes simplex),
(Journal of Immunology, 1999, 1:162(5)2912)
Maitake (grifola frondosa)
· Demonstrates anti-tumor effects and helps reduce immune suppression.
(Nutrition, 2005, 21(5) 624-9)
· Helps enhance cytotoxicity of NK(natural killer) cells, which destroy cancer and tumor cells.
(Oncology Report, 2005, 13(3)497-502)
Reishi (ganoderma lucidum)
· Helps lower cholesterol by inhibiting cholesterol synthesis.
(Applied Environmental Microbiology, 2005, 71(7) 3653-58)
· Demonstrates anti-tumor and anti-mestastic activity.
(InVivo, 2005, 19(1)37-60)
· Helps suppress the growth of breast cancer cells.
(Nutr; Cancer, 2004; 49(2) 209-16)
· Helps inhibit and detoxify heavy metals.
(Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Vigo, 2005)
Shiitke (lenfinula edodes)
· Contains Lentunen which is an immune modulating (l-3)-b-D-Glucan.
(Acta Pol Pharma, 2004, dec 61 suppi, 40-2)
· Demonstrates antimicrobial effects against E-coli, staph, Candida albicans, enterococus, staph aureus, E faecalis, and promotes me growth of good intestinal flora; bifidobacterium and lactobacteria.
(Zh. Mikrobiol. Epidemiol. Immunobiol, 2005, jan (1)80-82)
· Demonstrates anti-viral, anti-HIV and anti-leukemia activity.
(Life Science, 2003, nov 14:73(26):3363-74)
· Helps protect cardiovascular and kidney circulation. Helps reduce cell proliferation of skin carcinomas.
(Cancer Lett. 2005, 18:220(1) 21-28)
· Helps enhance wound healing.
(Journal of Vet Science, 2005, 6(2); 161-64)
Phellinua linteus Mauiensis
· Demonstrated hyperglycemic benefits
(Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2005, 7:1-7)
Oyster (pleurtus ostrealus siberiaensis)
· Demonstrates highly potent anti-cancer activities in liver cancer and sarcomas
(Biochem Biophyhys Res Commn. 2000, sept 7:275(3):810)
Chaga (inonolus obliguus oinda)
· Helps protect DNA from Damage.
(Biofactors, 2004, 21(1-4):109-12)
Enoki (Flammulina velutipes)
· Helps increase natural killer cells, and may help extend life span absent of cancer.
(Archiv Environmental Health, 2003 aug, 58(8):533-7)
· Helps prevent leukemia in humans by activating immune cells and stimulating cytokines, resulting in anti-tumor activity.
(Argic Food Chem, 2005, Jan 26:53(2):300-5)
Report from the Health Science Institute of Baltimore on
Three decades ago, researchers began investigating a medical curiosity
among the people of Piedade, Brazil. Residents of the small community
near Sao Paulo enjoyed extraordinarily good health. They developed few
diseases and lived unusually long lives. Outsiders began to wonder what
was enhancing the Brazilians' immunity and lifespan. When researchers
went looking for an answer, they stumbled upon the "Mushroom of God," a
small mushroom that Piedade locals ate regularly.
As you've probably guessed, agaricus is the Mushroom of God. It was
eventually subjected to pharmacological tests that revealed components
that enhance the immune system. Citizens of Piedade didn't have to be
told about this. They'd been using agaricus for years to avoid
infection, diabetes, high cholesterol, chronic hepatitis, and
arteriosclerosis (flexibility loss in the arteries).
When we first told you about agaricus in the May 2002 HSI Members
Alert, we noted several laboratory and animal studies, but at that time
no human trials had been conducted. But now we have a report on the
first human testing, and the results promise that this modest mushroom
may have a very bright future - especially for cancer patients.
From Brazil to Japan
Recent Japanese research has confirmed that agaricus contains a host of
health-promoting components: vitamins B1 and B2, niacin, phosphorous,
iron, calcium, protein, amino acids, and ergosterol (which converts
into vitamin D2 when the mushroom is dried). Most importantly,
researchers discovered that agaricus contains active polysaccharides;
complex carbohydrates that prompt the immune system to fight off
bacterial and viral illnesses.
Agaricus stimulates the immune system by triggering the production of:
• T-cells, which directly attack cells that have been taken over by
viruses or cancers
• Interleukin, which bolsters the immune system by stimulating growth
and activity of white blood cells
• Tumor necrosis factor (TNF), which activates white blood cells and
• Macrophages, which protect the body from infection by consuming
At Japan's Ehime University School of Medicine, researchers tested
ABM's impact on tumors. Twenty days of treatment with agaricus extracts
(800 mg/kg per day taken orally) significantly retarded tumor growth in
cancerous mice. Researchers determined that the tumor-retarding agent
was ergosterol, a steroid alcohol that occurs naturally in mold and
In a second Ehime test, mice given the largest doses of agaricus had
significantly less tumor growth compared to mice treated with placebo.
Ergosterol was found to inhibit the development of new blood vessels
within the tumor - a process that can stop and eventually reverse tumor
growth. Agaricus therapy also produced another benefit: After 20 days
of treatment none of the mice suffered any of the typical side effects
Bring in the humans
The promising results from the Ehime University tests and other
agaricus trials prompted researchers at the Catholic University of
Korea, College of Medicine, in Seoul, South Korea, to conduct a human
study in 2004.
One hundred subjects with cervical, ovarian or endometrial cancer
received at least three cycles of chemotherapy. Half the group also
received three doses of agaricus supplements daily, while the other
half received a placebo. Blood samples revealed that natural killer
cell activity was significantly higher in the agaricus group.
Another important result: In subjects treated with agaricus,
chemotherapy-associated side effects such as appetite loss, hair loss,
emotional instability, and general weakness were all improved compared
to those who didn't receive the supplement.
Thriving in extremes
For many years, supplies of agaricus mushrooms or supplements were
scarce because growers were unable to successfully cultivate this wild
mushroom. It typically thrives in extreme conditions; intense Brazilian
sunlight, humidity averaging 80 percent, and temperatures that soar to
100 degrees during the day and drop to 68 degrees overnight. It was
only in the early '90s that growers devised a method of producing
biologically active agaricus mushrooms.
Today, Japanese consumers purchase 90 percent of Brazil's agaricus
crop, so you're not likely to find fresh agaricus mushrooms in most
American markets. But a quick search on the Internet reveals that
several companies offer agaricus supplements in different forms.
Apparently no clinical trials have been conducted yet on any of these
supplements, so be sure to double check the reliability of the source
before placing an order.
Cancer’s Natural Enemy
By Dr. David Williams
Japanese researchers have uncovered a remarkable new way to boost your immune
system’s ability to kill cancer cells, viruses, and pathogenic bacteria by up
Cancer rates in the U.S. are officially “off the charts.” A century ago the
disease occurred in 1-in-100 people. Today, half of all adults will get some
form of cancer in their lifetime. That’s 1-in-2 people! Why this alarming
increase? It’s being caused by a steady and widespread breakdown of the immune
system among our population. Cancer cells are naturally present in everyone’s
bloodstream, but are kept in check by a special immune cell called NK (short
for “natural killer”). When NK activity weakens—either from old age, poor
nutrition, or stress—cancer cells are free to multiply and become tumors. That’
s what is happening throughout our country today.
We need better treatments. When a person is diagnosed with cancer, the only
treatments permitted in this country are chemotherapy and radiation. Both
have horrendous side effects, such as hair loss and vomiting. Both poison the
immune system and destroy natural killer cells, thus increasing the chances of
relapse. And both have poor long term survival rates. This isn’t the case in
other countries. In Japan, for instance, a surprising new, natural cancer
treatment involves stimulating the patient’s immune system so tumors are gobbled
up by a feeding frenzy of NK cells. You might be surprised to learn that
doctors trigger this sudden blast of immune activity with a natural substance
found in certain Japanese mushrooms. These mushroom extracts are now one of the
leading cancer prescription treatments in that country!
Using the immune system like this is the next big frontier in medicine. It
holds the promise of finding real cures, not just for cancer, but heart
disease, arthritis, allergies, and many other ills.
But even though the Japanese are doing a better job in the battle against
cancer, it will take many years—if not decades!—before U.S. doctors accept the
idea that the immune system is the key to beating cancer and other diseases.
Sadly, that will be too late for most Americans who are now over 50—or younger
people with a family history of these diseases. That’s the bad news. The good
news is that scientists have recently isolated the active substance in these
medicinal mushrooms and put it into capsule form. Since your immune system is
your first line of defense against more that just cancer (it’s how your body
fights off the flu, colds, recurring infections, pathogenic and
antibiotic-resistant bacteria, and virtually any other disease), medicinal mushrooms offer
benefits that go far beyond just cancer protection. People who would also
greatly benefit from medicinal mushrooms include:
*Those with a history of smoking or heavy drinking.
*Individuals working in the medical field who are exposed to highly
*Elderly individuals with weakened immune systems. That’s because “natural
killer” cells respond slower as we get older, resulting in recurring bouts of
infection and noticeable decline in general health.